2021/02/13 – Ruby Port [Quarter] Cask Finish for Bresser & Timmer announced
The Dutch Kilchoman importer Bresser & Timmer recently announced the first Kilchoman Ruby Port Quarter Cask release for the Netherlands.
As we have reported on several occasions, finishings in small Portwine quarter casks have been one of the Kilchoman novelties of 2020. First launched in the 2nd half of 2020, only around half a dozen of these bottlings have appeared worldwide to date. Due to the small number of around 140 bottles per release, these bottlings are always sold out very quickly.
All these releases have in common that they are initially matured in a bourbon barrel for about 7 years, the contents of which are then decanted into two Ruby Port Quarter Casks and finished in these for several months.
The Bresser & Timmer release is the bottling of the Quarter Cask No. 2151/2013, i.e. the 2nd half of the Bourbon Barrel No. 215/2013, in which the whisky distilled on 4.4.2013 has been matured for nearly seven years before being finished in the Ruby Port Quarter Cask for over 8 month and bottled on 25.11.2020 with 56.1 %.
By the way, the bottling of the Quarter Cask 2150/2013, which is the first half of the Bourbon Barrel 215/2013, was released in the UK at the end of 2020, so this makes for an interesting taste comparison.
Kilchoman Ruby Port Quarter Cask Finish Releases to date:
- 2460/2012 8 yo Port Cask [Quarter Cask Finish] for Sierra Springs Liquor (Airdrie, Canada)
- 2490/2012 8 yo Ruby Port Quarter Cask [Finish] for Wine Exchange (Santa Ana, CA, USA)
- 2500/2012 8 yo Ruby Port Quarter Cask [Finish] for The Southern California Whiskey Club
- 1970/2013 7 yo Ruby Port Finish for Craft Cellars (Calgary)
- 1971/2013 Port Matured Single [Quarter] Cask Finish for Whisky.de
- 2110/2013 Port Quarter Single Cask [Finish] (Uniquely Islay Series – An Geamhradh 2020, #2/7)
- 2150/2013 Port [Quarter] Cask Finish Single Cask for the UK
- 2151/2013 Ruby Port [Quarter] Cask Finish for Bresser & Timmer